What is Regaine?
Regaine is a topical preparation which is applied directly to the scalp to regulate and stimulate hair growth and reverse the hair loss process. Regain is the usually recommended drug for the treatment of hair loss. This is a vasodilator drug. Minoxidil works as potassium channel opener that hyperpolarizes the cell membrane which regulates more oxygen, blood, and nutrients to the hair follicle. This drug shows action within 2to 4 months so use it regularly.
What are contraindications of Regaine?
- Do not use this drug if you are allergic to any ingredient in Minoxidil.
- Do not use Minoxidil if you are a woman
- If you have sudden or patchy hair loss do not use this drug.
- If your scalp is red, inflamed, infected, or painful do not use this drug.
- If you are using other medicines on your scalp do not use this drug.
What are the drug interactions of Regaine?
- Do not use Herbal products
- Avoid administration of over the counter drugs
- Avoid administration of vitamins and dietary supplements.
How to store Regaine:
Store Regaine in a tightly closed container. You should keep this drug at room temperature 20 to 30oC. Keep out of reach of children.
How to use Regaine?
Regaine is a topical preparation to be applied on the scalp to the area of hair loss. You should not apply it on red, irritated, or inflamed skin. You are not advised to apply it on other parts of the body; Minoxidil foam (for men) is only for use on the top of the head. Do NOT apply to other parts of the body. You should wash your hands before and after using Minoxidil. You should use this medicine on a regular basis to get best results. Use Minoxidil regularly even when your hair starts to grow. Do not miss any doses.
Side effects of Regaine
Common side effects: Changes in hair color or texture
Severe allergic reactions like- itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, rash; hives;, chest pain; dizziness; fainting; fast heartbeat; redness or irritation of the scalp.
What are the precautions of Regaine?
- You should not use this drug if you are already applying other medicine to the head.
- Do not use this drug if you are a child or your age is less than 18 years.
- If you have family history of hair loss do not use this drug.
- You should not apply this drug on other parts of your body.
- Avoid applying in eyes, nose and mouth
- If hair loss is associated with childbirth this drug will not show any more effect, so do not use in that case.