Brief overview of Provera Medroxyprogesterone:
Provera drug is used to treat several absent or irregular menstrual periods and abnormal uterine bleeding to re-establish a regular menstrual cycle. Provera tablet contains Medroxyprogesterone as a artificial derivative of female sex hormone progesterone used for managing several menstrual and uterine issues. It is also used to reduce the risk of endometrial hyperplasia (a condition that may cause uterine cancer) in women taking estrogen hormone replacement therapy. Provera is used as transgender hormone therapy, to help stimulate breast growth and decrease the making of testosterone.
What is the working Provera?
Medroxyprogesterone is a progestin (a type of progesterone), a female hormone that helps normalize ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary) and menstrual periods. It works on the lining of the uterus and changing the proliferating phase to the secretory phase. This leads to thickened endometrium in response to estrogen to stop growing and start secreting hormones, other proteins required to maintain a pregnancy if occur, if not, then levels of oestrogen and progesterone drop and the endometrium is shed (menstruation). This act helps re-establish a normal menstrual cycle in the management of amenorrhoea and irregular uterine bleeding during the menstrual cycle.
What are the contraindication of Provera?
- Avoid this drug if you are sensitive to Medroxyprogesterone
- Do not use this drug if you are pregnant as it may causes the birth defects.
- You should not use this medicine if you have liver disease, breast or uterine cancer, stroke, blood clot and abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Azole antifungal such as Itraconazole
- Anti-seizure medicines such as Carbamazepine, Phenobarbital, Phenytoin.
How should I take Provera?
Provera tablet is comes in strength of 2.5, 5, and 10 mg.
For abnormal bleeding - Consume Provera 2.5 -10 mg once daily for 5-10 days beginning on a day which has been assumed Day 16 of your menstrual cycle. Treatment is usually repeated for two-three cycles in a row. Take Provera at the same time each day.
For Amenorrhoea - Take the dose of Provera 2.5 to 10 mg daily for 10days.
For endometriosis- Take Provera 10mg 3 times a day (30mg) for 3 months (90 days) beginning on the first day of your period. If you have any irregular bleeding or spotting during management this is common and nothing to concern about.
What happens if I miss a dose of Provera?
If a dose of this medicine is missed then take as soon as you memorize. Do not take 2 doses to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I take overdose of Provera?
Do not take it in larger dose as it may give some serious side effects like discomfort, sleeplessness, skin rash and itch, and stomach pain,
What are the side effects of Provera?
The most common undesired effects of this tablet, include dizziness, acne, fever, menstrual changes (breakthrough bleeding, missed periods, spotting) drowsiness, headache, weight gain or loss, nausea, and nervousness. More severe side effects include jaundice.
What are the precaution followed while taking the drug?
- Do not smoke while taking this medicine as it highly increases your risk of blood clots.
- It should be used with caution in women with renal dysfunction, heart failure, high blood pressure, diabetes, jaundice, gallstones.
- Be careful while driving as this drug causes dizziness and drowsiness effects.
- It should be used with extra care in women who suffer from asthma, migraines or history of blood clots in the blood vessels.