Ovral L is an effective birth control pill. It is a combination of two synthetic derivatives. It is prepared by using estrogen and progestin derivative. It also makes periods more regular and treats acne along with unwanted pregnancy.
How Ovral-L works?
Norgestrel and Ethinyl estradiol, both are two active ingredients of this medication. They are derived from progestin and estrogen. These two compounds have tendency to inhibit the process of ovulation and these also changes the lining of uterus and cervical mucus, which creates problem in the path of sperm and causes interference in the process of fertilization. It also prevents attachment of uterus and fetus. In this way this medication acts as birth control pill.
Who should not take Ovral L?
This medication is contraindicated in some individuals, so they should avoid this medication. They are-
• The female, should not take this drug, if she is allergic to Norgestrel or Ethinyl estradiol or any other ingredient of this medication.
• The female should avoid this medication in certain issues such as heart disorder, blood clotting disorder, breast cancer, cervical or endometrial cancer and liver cancer.
• Female should not take this drug, if she is pregnant.
What other drugs will affect activity of Ovral-L?
There are certain drugs, which can alter the activity of this medication, so you should not take this drug in combination with some drugs like Atorvastatin, Corticosteroids, Azole Antifungal, Penicillins, Phenytoin, Morphine and Theophylline.
Where you should store Ovral-L?
You can keep this birth control pill at room temperature; away from moisture and direct heat or sunlight.
How to consume Ovral-L?
This medication is formulated in the form of oral tablets. The female should take this medication daily on same time. The pack of Ovral-L tablets contains 21 tablets. The female should take one tablet of this drug for 21 consecutive days, starting from first day of her menstrual cycle. She can also start this pack on first Sunday after starting of her menstrual cycle. After 21 days, she should not take any tablet for 7 days and on 8th day she should start with a new pack.
What to do in case of overdose?
This medication should not be used in overdose, as it can cause severe bad effects in these individuals. In case of overdose, the female may face some symptoms like vomiting, bleeding and severe diarrhea. In case of this state, you should contact with your doctor.
What to do in case of missed dose?
In case, you missed the dose of this medication then it increases the chances of getting pregnant. In this case you should contact with your doctor as soon as possible. It may also require use of some other backup method of birth control.
What side effects are caused by Ovral-L?
There are certain side effects, which are generally caused by Ovral-L consumption like weight change, stomach upset, dizziness and headache.
What are safety points about Ovral-L?
• In some medical issues, always use extra care, while taking this drug like in migraine, diabetes, abnormal blood pressure and kidney or heart disorder.
• You should avoid alcohol intake and cigarette smoking, while taking this medication.
• It should not be used by children.
• You should use backup method for at least 7 days, if you are using this medication first time.